the Major Leagues
- of or pertaining to a major league or the Major Leagues
- Slang great in extent, importance, impressiveness, etc.
- Either of the two principal groups of professional baseball teams in the United States.
- A league of principal importance in other professional sports, such as basketball, football, or ice hockey.
- Sports Of or relating to a major league: major-league baseball.
- Informal Prominent or important: a major-league ballet company.
- Informal Impressive, as in extent or quantity: “a destination for major-league wooing” ( Bryan Miller )
(plural major leagues)
- An association of sports teams which plays at the highest skill level of its sport, especially Major League Baseball.
- (usually in plural or attributive) The highest level of competition in a field of endeavor.
- You can't be so casual. You're in the major leagues now.
(comparative more major league, superlative most major league)
- Of or pertaining to a major sports league.
- Analogous in importance to a major league sports team.
- That rock band is really major league.
- Calatrava is a major league architect.
- Serious, intensive.
- The company made a major league effort to get the contract.
(comparative more major-league, superlative most major-league)