- The definition of beast is an animal, usually a huge four-footed mammal or is a mean and scornful person.
- An example of a beast is a giant Grizzly bear.
- An example of a beast is a woman who talks down to everyone and treats people as though they are insignificant.
Beast in the snow.
beast definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic any animal as distinguished from a human being
- any large, four-footed animal; sometimes, specif., a domesticated animal
- qualities or impulses like an animal's: the beast in him
- a person who is gross, brutal, vile, etc.
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French beste ; from Classical Latin bestia ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European base an unverified form dheus- from source deer
beast definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An animal other than a human, especially a large four-footed mammal.b. New England & Southern U.S. A large domestic animal, especially a horse or bull.
- Animal nature as opposed to intellect or spirit: “So far the beast in us has insisted upon having its full say” (William Dean Howells).
- A brutal, contemptible person.
Origin: Middle English beste, from Old French, from Latin bēstia.