- The definition of a glutton is someone who is very eager for something, or who cannot get enough of something, or who eats an excessive amount.
An example of a glutton is a person who keeps going back for second, third and fourth helpings and who eats way more than his share.
This woman is being a glutton.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who greedily eats too much
- a person with a great capacity for something: a glutton for work
Origin: transl. of Ger vielfrass, lit., great devourerwolverine
Origin: Middle English glotoun from Old French gloton from Classical Latin gluto, glutto from glutire, gluttire, to devour, akin to gula, gullet
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink.
- A person with an inordinate capacity to receive or withstand something: a glutton for punishment.
- See wolverine.
Origin: Middle English glotoun, from Old French gloton, from Latin gluttō, gluttōn-.