- The definition of a glutton is someone who is very eager for something, or who cannot get enough of something, or who eats an excessive amount.
An example of a glutton is a person who keeps going back for second, third and fourth helpings and who eats way more than his share.
This woman is being a glutton.
glutton definition by Webster's New World
- a person who greedily eats too much
- a person with a great capacity for something: a glutton for work
Origin: transl. of Ger vielfrass, lit., great devourerwolverine
Origin: Middle English glotoun ; from Old French gloton ; from Classical Latin gluto, glutto ; from glutire, gluttire, to devour, akin to gula, gullet
glutton definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink.
- A person with an inordinate capacity to receive or withstand something: a glutton for punishment.
- See wolverine.
Origin: Middle English glotoun, from Old French gloton, from Latin gluttō, gluttōn-.