- The definition of a cur is a mixed breed dog, or a dog or person who is not well liked.
- An example of a cur is a dog that has the body characteristics and personalities of many different breeds of dogs.
- An example of a cur is a mean person.
cur definition by Webster's New World
- a dog of mixed breed; mongrel
- a mean, contemptible person
Origin: Middle English curre, earlier kurdogge, probably ; from Old Norse or Middle Low German as in Swedish dialect, dialectal kurre, Middle Low German korre, dog: basic sense “snarling, growling” ; from Old Norse kurra or Middle Low German korren, to growl
cur definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A dog considered to be inferior or undesirable; a mongrel.
- A base or cowardly person.
Origin: Middle English curre, perhaps of Scandinavian origin; see gerə-2 in Indo-European roots.