- The definition of libertine is someone who has a lack of morality, or someone who rejects customary religious beliefs and thinks freely.
- Promiscuous behavior and sleeping around are an example of something that would be described as libertine actions.
- Deciding that the Catholic church is wrong and you are going to believe in your own religion is an example of behavior that would be described as libertine.
- A libertine is defined as a person who rejects religious truths, or is someone who behaves in an immoral manner (especially a man who engages in immoral sexual behavior).
A man who sleeps around with lots of different women and who is irresponsible and immoral in the way he conducts himself with those women is an example of a libertine.
- in ancient Rome, a person who had been freed from slavery
Origin of libertineprob. via Fr libertin a person, esp. a man, who leads an unrestrained, sexually immoral life; rake
- Archaic a freethinker
Origin of libertineMiddle English libertyn ; from Classical Latin libertinus ; from libertus, freedman ; from liber, free: see liberal
- One who acts without moral restraint; a dissolute person.
- One who defies established religious precepts; a freethinker.
Origin of libertineMiddle English, freedman, from Latin l&imacron;bert&imacron;nus, from l&imacron;bertus, from l&imacron;ber, free; see leudh- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more libertine, superlative most libertine)