- The definition of backhanded refers to a comment that is sarcastic and that isn't as it appears on the surface.
An example of a backhanded compliment is your mother-in-law saying "My goodness, I'm surprised at how good this dinner was since I know you usually have such trouble with cooking."
- Backhanded is defined as a stroke in sports that is done with the palm of the hand turned towards the body.
In tennis if you hit a ball that approached your left side with your right hand that would be an example of a backhand hit.
- Backhanded means doing something with the outside of your hand.
If you pull your arm to the opposite side of your body then hit someone, then that is an example that you hit someone backhanded.
- designating an insincere or ambiguous compliment, esp. one that is indirectly unflattering or derogatory: a backhanded compliment
- Sports performed by backhanding the ball: a backhanded catch
- Sports Made with or using a backhand: a backhanded shot into the opponent's court.
- Oblique or roundabout: “Maybe [avant-garde novels'] frustrating lack of plot is a backhanded tribute to plots” ( Harvey Cox )
- Having derogatory or insulting implications: “Everyone…said how wonderful, how glamorous she looked, but even that was a sort of backhanded compliment, with the unspoken addendum, for your age” ( Freda Warrington )
(comparative more backhanded, superlative most backhanded)
- simple past tense and past participle of backhand