- A funny story about the Roaring Twenties is an example of an anecdotal retelling of the past.
- Asking everyone what they think about a specific subject is an example of collecting anecdotal evidence.
The definition of anecdotal is something that is story-like or something that is based on stories and retellings, not based on provable facts.
- of or like an anecdote
- full of anecdotes
- based on personal experience or reported observations unverified by controlled experiments: anecdotal evidence
- also an·ec·dot·ic or an·ec·dot·i·cal Of, characterized by, or full of anecdotes.
- Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis: “There are anecdotal reports of children poisoned by hot dogs roasted over a fire of the [oleander] stems” ( C. Claiborne Ray )
(comparative more anecdotal, superlative most anecdotal)
- Of the nature of or relating to an anecdote.
- Containing or abounding in anecdotes.
anecdote + -al