intransitive verbyapped, yap′ping
- to make a sharp, shrill bark or yelp
- Slang to talk noisily and stupidly; jabber
Origin of yapechoic
- a sharp, shrill bark or yelp
- Slang noisy, stupid talk; jabber
- Slang a crude, noisy, or contemptible person
- Slang the mouth
verbyapped, yap·ping, yaps
- To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
- Slang To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.
- A sharp, shrill bark; a yelp.
- Slang Noisy, stupid talk; jabber.
- Slang The mouth: Shut your yap.
- Slang A stupid, crude, or loud person.
Origin of yapProbably imitative
(third-person singular simple present yaps, present participle yapping, simple past and past participle yapped)