- to make a sharp, shrill bark or yelp
- Slang to talk noisily and stupidly; jabber
Origin of yapechoic
- a sharp, shrill bark or yelp
- Slang noisy, stupid talk; jabber
- Slang a crude, noisy, or contemptible person
- Slang the mouth
group of islands in the W Caroline Islands, W Pacific; part of Micronesia: 39 sq mi (101 sq km)
verbyapped, yap·ping, yaps
- To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
- Slang To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.
To utter by yapping.
- A sharp, shrill bark; a yelp.
- Slang Noisy, stupid talk; jabber.
- Slang The mouth: Shut your yap.
- Slang A stupid, crude, or loud person.
Origin of yapProbably imitative.
An island group and state of the Federated States of Micronesia in the western Caroline Islands of the western Pacific Ocean. Part of a Japanese mandate after 1920, it fell to US forces in 1945. Yap is noted for the large stone disks traditionally used as money by the native population.
(third-person singular simple present yaps, present participle yapping, simple past and past participle yapped)