- The definition of a gob is a lump of something to a large quantity of something.
- An example of gob is a small handful of shampoo.
- An example of gob is when a child has hundreds of toys.
gob definition by Webster's New World
- a lump or mass, as of something soft
- Informal a large quantity or amount
- waste material produced in coal mining, consisting of clay, shale, etc.
Origin: Middle English gobbe ; from Old French gobe, back-formation ; from gobet: see gobbet
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
gob definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small mass or lump.
- Informal A large quantity. Often used in the plural: a gob of money; gobs of time.
Origin: Middle English gobbe, probably from Old French gobe, mouthful, from gober, to gulp, of Celtic origin.
Origin: Perhaps from Scottish and Irish Gaelic.
Origin: Probably shortening of earlier gobshite, wad of expectorated chewing tobacco, sailor; see gobshite.