- to utter a loud, harsh call or cry
- Slang to talk noisily and stupidly
- Informal to yawn aloud; gape
Origin of yawpMiddle English yolpen, probably echoic variant, variety of yelpen, yelp
the act or sound of yawping
intransitive verbyawped, yawp·ing, yawps
- To utter a sharp cry; yelp.
- To talk loudly, raucously, or coarsely.
- A bark; a yelp.
- Loud or coarse talk or utterance: “I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world” ( Walt Whitman )
Origin of yawpMiddle English yolpen possibly variant of yelpen ; see yelp .
(third-person singular simple present yawps, present participle yawping, simple past and past participle yawped)
Middle English yolpen