- The definition of bum is of poor quality, ailing, or false or invalid.
An example of bum is a broken limb.
- A bum is defined as a person who is lazy and does not work by choice.
An example of bum is a person who lays around drinking all day and doing nothing productive.
- Bum is slang for borrowing without planning to return.
An example of bum is to take $5 from a friend and never give it back.
This man's a bum.
bum definition by Webster's New World
- a vagrant, hobo, tramp, or beggar; specif., a shabby, often drunken derelict
- any shiftless or irresponsible person, loafer, idler, etc.
- a devotee, as of golf or skiing, who devotes so much time to the sport as to disrupt family life, career, etc.
- an incompetent person, esp. an athlete
Origin: ; from bummer, probably ; from German bummler, loafer, habitually tardy person ; from bummeln, to go slowly, waste time
- to live as a bum or vagrant
- to live by begging or sponging on people
Origin: Middle English bom ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps botem, bottom, as Dutch dialect, dialectal boem ; from bodem, and amp; obsolete eastern; English bummery for bottomry
bum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A tramp; a vagrant.
- A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
- An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
- One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.
- To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around.
- To loaf.
- To acquire by begging; cadge. See Synonyms at cadge.
- Slang To depress, dishearten, or dismay. Often used with out.
- Inferior; worthless: gave me bum advice; did a bum job of fixing the car.
- Disabled; malfunctioning: a bum shoulder.
- Unfavorable or unfair: got a bum deal on my final grade for the course.
- Unpleasant; lousy: had a bum time at the party.
Origin: Back-formation from bummer.
noun Chiefly British Slang
Origin: Middle English bom.
bum - Phrases/Idioms
bum someone outâ
give (or get) the bum's rush
on the bumInformal
- living as a vagrant
- out of repair; broken
on the bum
- Living as a vagrant or tramp.
- Out of order; broken.