- a very small piece broken off something; small particle or bit, esp. of bread, cake, etc.
- any bit or scrap: crumbs of knowledge
- the soft part of bread within the crust
- Slang a worthless, disgusting, or despicable personalso crum′bum·
Origin of crumbMiddle English crome from Old English cruma, literally , scraping from bread crust, akin to German krume from Indo-European an unverified form gr-eu, to scratch, scrape (from source German krauen, to scratch) from base an unverified form ger-, to turn, twist
- Rare to crumble
- to clear of crumbs: to crumb a table
- Cooking to cover or thicken with crumbs