This is a bummer.
- Getting detention and having to stay after school is an example of a bummer.
- When you take LSD and have a bad trip, experiencing unpleasant visions, this is an example of a bummer.
- When you hang around all day, have no job and live in your parent's basement, this is an example of a time when you are a bummer.
- Slang one who lives by bumming
- Slang any unpleasant or unsatisfactory thing or experience: orig., an unpleasant drug experience
Origin of bummerfrom bum + -er
- Slang One that depresses, frustrates, or disappoints: Getting stranded at the airport was a real bummer.
- Slang An adverse reaction to a hallucinogenic drug.
- a. A loafer or idler.b. A beggar.
Origin of bummerFrom bum 1 adj. Sense 3, probably from German Bummler loafer from bummeln to loaf
- (US, slang, dated) An idle, worthless fellow, without any visible means of support; a dissipated sponger.
From German Bummler (“loafer”), from bummeln (“loaf”).
From bum + -er (“comparative forming”).
From bum + -er (“agency forming”).
From bum (“buttocks”) + -er (“agency forming”).