- The definition of a bummer is slang for something undesirable, unpleasant or annoying, or is slang for a bad reaction to a drug, or is a lazy person who hangs around all day without a job or purpose.
- Getting detention and having to stay after school is an example of a bummer.
- When you take LSD and have a bad trip, experiencing unpleasant visions, this is an example of a bummer.
- When you hang around all day, have no job and live in your parent's basement, this is an example of a time when you are a bummer.
This is a bummer.
bummer definition by Webster's New World
- Slang one who lives by bumming
- Slang any unpleasant or unsatisfactory thing or experience: orig., an unpleasant drug experience
Origin: ; from bum plush -er
bummer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Slang An adverse reaction to a hallucinogenic drug.
- Slang One that depresses, frustrates, or disappoints: Getting stranded at the airport was a real bummer.
- a. A loafer or idler.b. A beggar.
Origin: From bum1, adj.. Sense 3, probably from German Bummler, loafer, from bummeln, to loaf.
Variant of bum
- a vagrant, hobo, tramp, or beggar; specif., a shabby, often drunken derelict
- any shiftless or irresponsible person, loafer, idler, etc.
- a devotee, as of golf or skiing, who devotes so much time to the sport as to disrupt family life, career, etc.
- an incompetent person, esp. an athlete
Origin: ; from bummer, probably ; from German bummler, loafer, habitually tardy person ; from bummeln, to go slowly, waste time
- to live as a bum or vagrant
- to live by begging or sponging on people