- The definition of churlish is a rude, selfish or mean person.
A husband telling his wife she looks fat is an example of churlish.Taking the last two samples when not everyone has taken one is an example of churlish.
- of a churl or churls; rustic
- like a churl; surly; boorish
- stingy or mean
- Now Rare hard to work or manage
- Of, like, or befitting a churl; boorish or vulgar.
- Having a bad disposition; surly: “as valiant as the lion, churlish as the bear” (Shakespeare).
- Difficult to work with, such as soil; intractable.
(comparative more churlish, superlative most churlish)
From late Old English cierlisc (“of or pertaining to churls”), from churl + -ish. Meaning "deliberately rude" is late 14c.