- The definition of churlish is a rude, selfish or mean person.
A husband telling his wife she looks fat is an example of churlish.Taking the last two samples when not everyone has taken one is an example of churlish.
churlish definition by Webster's New World
- of a churl or churls; rustic
- like a churl; surly; boorish
- stingy or mean
- Now Rare hard to work or manage
churlish definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, like, or befitting a churl; boorish or vulgar.
- Having a bad disposition; surly: “as valiant as the lion, churlish as the bear” (Shakespeare).
- Difficult to work with, such as soil; intractable.
- churlˈish·ly adverb
- churlˈish·ness noun