- An example of compassionate is a caring nurse.
- An example of compassionate is vacation days or leave time given when your parent dies.
- Feeling or showing compassion; sympathetic.
- Granted to an individual because of an emergency or other unusual circumstances: compassionate military leave.
transitive verbcom·pas·sion·at·ed, com·pas·sion·at·ing, com·pas·sion·ates
(comparative more compassionate, superlative most compassionate)
(third-person singular simple present compassionates, present participle compassionating, simple past and past participle compassionated)
- (archaic) To feel compassion for; to pity, feel sorry for.
A pseudo-Latin form of French compassioné, past participle of compassionner (“feel sorry for”).