- The definition of Christian is something related to the teachings of Jesus Christ or related to the practice of following Jesus Christ.
Acts of charity that are commonly done by people who follow the teachings of Jesus Christ are examples of something that would be described as Christian.
- A Christian is defined as a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ and who has accepted Christ as his/her savior.
The pope is an example of a Christian.
- a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ, or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus
- a masculine name: dim. Chris; fem. Christina, Christine
- Informal a decent, respectable person
Origin of ChristianMiddle English and amp; Old English cristen ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin Christianus ; from Classical Greek christianos, a Christian ; from christos (see Christ); mod. spelling, spelled ; from Classical Latin
- of Jesus Christ or his teachings
- of or professing the religion based on these teachings
- having the qualities demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ, as love, kindness, humility, etc.
- of or representing Christians or Christianity
- Informal humane, decent, etc.
- Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
- Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
- Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus, especially in showing concern for others.
- Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
- One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
- One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.
Origin of ChristianMiddle English Cristen, from Old English cristen, from Latin Chr&imacron;stianus, from Chr&imacron;stus, Christ; see Christ.
- A believer in Christianity.
- An individual who seeks to live his or her life according to the principles and values taught by Jesus Christ.
- A male given name found in England since the twelfth century.
- A female given name of medieval usage, rare today.
- A patronymic surname.
(comparative more Christian, superlative most Christian)
Use of the term "Christian" in the generalised approbative sense "kind, moral" may offend non-Christians.
(See also the pejorative use of "Jew".)