- The definition of a hospital is a place to get medical attention.
- An example of hospital is where an ambulance would take you.
- An example of hospital is where someone would go to have surgery done.
The emergency entrance to a hospital.
hospital definition by Webster's New World
- a place of shelter and rest for travelers, etc.
- a charitable institution for providing and caring for the aged, infirm, orphaned, etc.: now only in names
- an institution providing medical, surgical, or psychiatric testing and treatment for people who are ill, injured, pregnant, etc. on an inpatient, outpatient, or emergency care basis: often involved with public health programs, research, medical education, etc.: in British English, usually without an article when preceded by a preposition
- Informal a repair shop for dolls, clocks, or other small items
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Late Latin hospitale, a house, inn ; from Classical Latin (cubiculum) hospitale, guest (room), neuter of hospitalis, of a guest ; from hospes: see hospice
hospital definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An institution that provides medical, surgical, or psychiatric care and treatment for the sick or the injured.
- Chiefly British A charitable institution, such as an orphanage or a home for the elderly.
- A repair shop for specified items: a doll hospital.
- Archaic A hospice for travelers or pilgrims.
Origin: Middle English, hospice, from Old French ospital, from Medieval Latin hospitāle, from neuter of Latin hospitālis, of a guest, from hospes, hospit-, guest; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots.
hospital - Medical Definition