- The definition of receptive is someone who is open and willing to receive something or to hear or learn something new.
- An example of someone who would be described as receptive is a person who is open and willing to hear a new idea.
- An example of someone who would be described as receptive is an audience of people who are willing to welcome a speaker and listen with an open mind.
- receiving or tending to receive, take in, admit, or contain
- inclined to the favorable reception of a request, suggestion, etc.
- able or ready to receive new ideas
- of reception or receptors
Origin of receptiveMedieval Latin receptivus ; from Classical Latin receptus: see receipt
- Capable of or qualified for receiving.
- Ready or willing to receive favorably: receptive to their proposals.
- Linguistics Of or relating to the skills of listening and reading.
- a. Receiving or ready to receive penetration in sexual intercourse.b. Receiving or ready to receive male gametes or nuclei during sexual reproduction: a receptive hypha; receptive stigmas.
- re·cep′tive·ness, re′cep·tiv′i·ty