- having the appearance of being drawn roughly, hurriedly, etc.; made with scratches
- making a scratching or scraping noise
- scratched together; haphazard
- that scratches, scrapes, chafes, itches, etc.: scratchy cloth
- Marked by or consisting of scratches: scratchy handwriting.
- Making a harsh scratching noise: a scratchy voice; a scratchy record.
- Harsh and irritating: a scratchy fabric.
- Irregular; uneven: played a scratchy stroke.
(comparative scratchier, superlative scratchiest)
- Characterized by scratches.
- Annoying, irritating, itchy.
- (informal, of an analogue radio transmission) Noisy, lossy; marred by white noise or static as a result of poor or low signal, interference or unfavourable atmospheric conditions.
- The FM station two hundred miles away was receivable, but the audio was too scratchy to positively identify.