- The definition of fractious is someone who is bad tempered, or someone or something that is difficult to control.
An example of fractious is a group of angry protesters.
- hard to manage; unruly; rebellious; refractory
- peevish; irritable; cross
Origin of fractiousprobably ; from fraction (in obsolete sense “discord”) + -ous
- Inclined to make trouble; unruly.
- Having a peevish nature; cranky.
Origin of fractiousFrom fraction, discord (obsolete).
(comparative more fractious, superlative most fractious)
fraction (“discord, (now obsolete)”) + -ous