- The definition of fractious is someone who is bad tempered, or someone or something that is difficult to control.
An example of fractious is a group of angry protesters.
fractious definition by Webster's New World
- hard to manage; unruly; rebellious; refractory
- peevish; irritable; cross
Origin: probably ; from fraction (in obsolete sense “discord”) plush -ous
fractious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Inclined to make trouble; unruly.
- Having a peevish nature; cranky.
Origin: From fraction, discord (obsolete).
- fracˈtious·ly adverb
- fracˈtious·ness noun