(countable and uncountable, plural fractionations)
- (chemistry) A separation process in which a certain quantity of a mixture is divided up into smaller quantities (fractions) in which the composition changes according to a gradient.
- (cryptography) A preliminary stage of encryption that divides each plaintext symbol into several ciphertext symbols.
fractionation - Investment & Finance Definition
A term used in the energy industry to describe the separation of saturated hydrocarbons from natural gas into distinct parts or fractions (such as propane, butane, ethane, or other elements).
fractionation - Medical Definition
- The process of dividing or separating into parts; breaking up.
- The division of a total therapeutic dose of radiation into small doses to be administered over a period of days or weeks.
- The separation of a chemical compound into components, as by distillation.