An old fashioned wood commode.
commode definition by Webster's New World
- a high headdress worn by women around 1700
- a chest of drawers
- a small, low table with drawers or cabinet spacealso commode table
- a movable washstand
- a kind of chair enclosing a chamber pot
- toilet ()
Origin: French chest of drawers, origin, originally , convenient, suitable ; from Classical Latin commodus, suitable: see com- and amp; mode
commode definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A low cabinet or chest of drawers, often elaborately decorated and usually standing on legs or short feet.
- a. A movable stand or cupboard containing a washbowl.b. A chair enclosing a chamber pot.c. A toilet.
- A woman's ornate headdress, fashionable around 1700.
Origin: French, from commode, convenient, from Latin commodus; see commodious.