A bride being assisted by her dresser.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who dresses another; esp., one who helps actors and actresses put on their costumes
- a person who dresses something, as store windows, leather, wounds, etc.
- a person who dresses elegantly or in a certain way: a fancy dresser
- Archaic sideboard
- a cupboard for dishes and kitchen utensils
- ☆ a chest of drawers, usually with a mirror
Origin: Middle English dressour ; from Old French dreceur ; from drecier, arrange: see dress
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that dresses: a careful dresser.
- A wardrobe assistant, as for an actor.
- A low chest of drawers often supporting a mirror and typically used for holding clothes and personal items.
- A cupboard or set of shelves for dishes or kitchen utensils.
Origin: Middle English dressour, table for preparing food, from Old French dreceur, from drecier, to set up, arrange; see dress.