- contaminated, specif. with harmful chemicals, waste material, etc.: polluted streams and rivers
- Slang intoxicated; drunk
The definition of polluted is dirty or contaminated.
An example of polluted is a body of water with an oil spill.
(comparative more polluted, superlative most polluted)
- Simple past and past participle of pollute.
- The defiant, polluted and oppressive city is condemned for failing to regard the warnings.
- The water supply, deemed ample when the prison was planned, became polluted under the congested conditions.
- The recognition of the dangers accompanying the drinking of polluted water or milk, or of those attached to the breathing of a germ-polluted atmosphere, has been the natural sequence of an improved knowledge of pathology in its bacteriological relationships.
- The extermination of noxious animals, and the exposure of corpses to the dogs and birds, that earth may not be polluted by their presence.
- Yet it cannot be too constantly urged that such filtration depends for its comparative perfection upon the surface film; that this surface film is not present when the filter is new, or when its materials have been recently washed; that it may be, and very often is, punctured by the actual working of the filters, or for the purpose of increasing their discharge; and that at the best it must be regarded as an exceedingly thin line of defence, not to be depended upon as a safeguard against highly polluted waters, if a purer source of supply can possibly be found.