- Smog is a mix of fog and smoke, or a layer of polluted air.
An example of smog is a low-lying yellow or brown layer of air.
- Archaic a noxious mixture of fog and smoke
- a low-lying, perceptible layer of polluted air
Origin of smogsm(oke) + (f)og
- Fog that has become mixed and polluted with smoke.
- A form of air pollution produced by the photochemical reaction of sunlight with hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides that have been released into the atmosphere, especially by automotive emissions.
Origin of smogsm(oke) + (f)og1.
(third-person singular simple present smogs, present participle smogging, simple past and past participle smogged)
- (informal) To get a smog check; to check a vehicle or have it checked for emissions.
- If the car is more than five years old, you'll have to have it smogged before you can register it.