- of, at, or in the vertex or zenith
- perpendicular, or at a right angle, to the plane of the horizon; upright, straight up or down, etc.
- at a right angle to the plane of the supporting surface
- at, or made up of elements at, different levels, as of industrial production and distribution or of social status
- of the vertex of the head
- Biol. in the direction in which the axis lies; lengthwise
Origin of verticalFrench from Late Latin verticalis from Classical Latin vertex (gen. verticis): see vertex
- a vertical line, plane, circle, etc.
- upright position