- The definition of chasten is to restrain, tame or moderate, or to punish or discipline.
- When you hold back someone's bad behavior and keep it from happening, this is an example of when you chasten.
- When you discipline someone for wrongdoing, this is an example of when you chasten.
chasten definition by Webster's New World
- to punish in order to correct or make better; chastise
- to restrain from excess; subdue
- to make purer in style; refine
Origin: Middle English chastien ; from Old French chastier ; from Classical Latin castigare, to punish, chastise: see castigate
- chastener noun
chasten definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb chas·tened, chas·ten·ing, chas·tens
- To correct by punishment or reproof; take to task.
- To restrain; subdue: chasten a proud spirit.
- To rid of excess; refine or purify: chasten a careless writing style.
Origin: Alteration of obsolete chaste, from Middle English chasten, chastien, from Old French chastiier, from Latin castigāre; see castigate.
- chasˈten·er noun