- The definition of celibate is refraining from sexual relations, usually for religious reasons.
A priest is an example of someone who is celibate.
- an unmarried person, esp. one under a vow to remain unmarried
- one who abstains from sexual intercourse
Origin of celibateClassical Latin caelibatus ; from caelebs, unmarried (; from Indo-European base an unverified form kaiwelo-, alone) + an unverified form lib(h)s-, living (from source live)
of or in a state of celibacy
- Abstaining from sexual relations.
- Remaining unmarried, especially for religious reasons.
- One who abstains from sexual relations.
- One who remains unmarried, especially for religious reasons.
Origin of celibateLatin caelibātus, from caelebs, caelib-, unmarried.
- Not married.
- (by extension) Abstaining from sexual relations and pleasures.
- Members of religious communities sometimes take vows to remain celibate.
- One who is not married, especially one who has taken a religious vow not to get married, usually because of being a member of a religious community.
- cable tie