- The definition of conspicuous is something that is obvious or easy to see.
An example of conspicuous is a naked person on the field during a football game.
This red tulip is conspicuous.
- easy to see or perceive; obvious: a conspicuous billboard
- attracting attention by being unexpected, unusual, outstanding, or egregious; striking: conspicuous bravery, conspicuous folly
Origin of conspicuousClassical Latin conspicuus, open to view ; from conspicere, to look at, observe ; from com-, intensive + specere, see: see spy
- Easy to notice; obvious: a conspicuous flaw in the construction.
- Attracting attention, as by being unusual or remarkable; noticeable. See Synonyms at noticeable.
Origin of conspicuousFrom Latin cōnspicuus, from cōnspicere, to observe : com-, intensive pref.; see com– + specere, to look; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more conspicuous, superlative most conspicuous)