- An example of a cretin is a person who constantly makes stupid and horrible mistakes.
- An example of a cretin is someone with physical deformities due to the disease.
- Archaic a person suffering from cretinism
- a very stupid or foolish person
Origin of cretinFrench crétin, dialect, dialectal form of chrétien; literally , Christian, hence human being (in contrast to brutes) ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin Christianus, Christian: sense development as in silly
- A person afflicted with cretinism.
- Offensive A person considered to be foolish or unintelligent.
Origin of cretinFrench crétin, from French dialectal, deformed and mentally retarded person found in certain Alpine valleys, from Vulgar Latin *christi&amacron;nus, Christian, human being, poor fellow, from Latin Chr&imacron;sti&amacron;nus, Christian; see Christian.
From French crétin (“cretin, idiot”), from crestin, an Alpine dialectal form of chrétien, from Vulgar Latin christianus in the lost sense of 'anyone in Christendom', often with a sense of 'poor fellow'.