- An example of a cretin is a person who constantly makes stupid and horrible mistakes.
- An example of a cretin is someone with physical deformities due to the disease.
- Archaic a person suffering from cretinism
- a very stupid or foolish person
Origin of cretinFrench crétin, dialect, dialectal form of chrétien; literally , Christian, hence human being (in contrast to brutes) from Ecclesiastical Late Latin Christianus, Christian: sense development as in silly
- A person with cretinism.
- A person considered to be foolish or unintelligent.
Origin of cretinFrench crétin from Franco-Provençal person with cretinism (formerly common in Alpine valleys because of insufficient iodine in the local diet) from Vulgar Latin christiānus Christian, human being, poor fellow from Latin Chrīstiānus Christian ; see Christian .
From French crétin (“cretin, idiot”), from crestin, an Alpine dialectal form of chrétien, from Vulgar Latin christianus in the lost sense of 'anyone in Christendom', often with a sense of 'poor fellow'.