- The definition of a moron is someone very stupid or foolish.
An extremely dumb person is an example of a moron.
- a retarded person mentally equal to a child between eight and twelve years old: an obsolescent term
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin of moronarbitrary use (by H. H. Goddard, 1866-1957, United States psychologist) of Classical Greek mōron, neuter of mōros, foolish, akin to Sanskrit mūrá-, stupid
- A person who is considered foolish or stupid.
- A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
Origin of moronFrom Greek mōron, neuter of mōros, stupid, foolish.
- mo′ron′ism, mo·ron′i·ty
Though originally a psychological, clinical, and medical term, it is currently used as a pejorative term against someone perceived as stupid. Current term for having an IQ between 50 and 69 is mild mental retardation.
From Ancient Greek μωρός (moros, “foolish, dull”).