The definition of an imbecile is someone who is foolish or isn’t very smart.noun
An example of an imbecile is someone who treats people badly and does stupid things that don't make any sense.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- Obsolete a retarded person mentally equal to a child between three and eight years old
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin: Fr imbécile < L imbecilis, imbecillus, feeble, weak, prob. < in-, without + baculus, staff (see bacillus): hence “without support”
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A stupid or silly person; a dolt.
- A person whose mental acumen is well below par.
- A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
- Stupid; silly.
- Well below par in mental acumen.
Origin: From obsolete French imbécille, weak, feeble, from Old French, from Latin imbēcillus : in-, not; see in-1 + possibly bacillum, staff, diminutive of baculum, rod; see bak- in Indo-European roots.
- imˈbe·cile·ly adverb
imbecile - Medical Definition
- imbecility noun