- The definition of a philosopher is a person who is an expert in philosophy (the study of the nature of knowledge and reality).
Socrates, Plato and Aristotle are examples of philosophers.
- a person who studies or is an expert in philosophy
- a person who lives by or expounds a system of philosophy
- a person who meets difficulties with calmness and composure
- a person given to philosophizing
Origin: Middle English philosophre from Old French philosophe from Classical Latin philosophus from Glassical Greek philosophos from philos, loving plush sophos, wise
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A student of or specialist in philosophy.
- A person who lives and thinks according to a particular philosophy.
- A person who is calm and rational under any circumstances.
Origin: Middle English philosophre, from alteration of Old French philosophe, from Latin philosophus, from Greek philosophos, lover of wisdom, philosopher : philo-, philo- + sophiā, knowledge, learning.