- Ross, Betsy (Mrs. Elizabeth Griscom Ross) 1752-1836; Am. woman reputed to have made the first Am. flag with stars and stripes
- Ross, Harold W(allace) 1892-1951; U.S. magazine editor
- Ross, Sir James Clark 1800-62; Brit. polar explorer
- Ross, Sir John 1777-1856; Brit. arctic explorer, born in Scotland: uncle of Sir James
- Ross, Sir Ronald 1857-1932; Eng. pathologist, born in India
- (US, dialect) The rough, scaly surface on the bark of trees.
(third-person singular simple present rosses, present participle rossing, simple past and past participle rossed)
- (US, dialect) To divest of the ross, or rough, scaly surface.
- to ross bark