- The definition of a bicycle is a two-wheeled vehicle with one wheel in front of the other which is propelled using foot pedals.
A two-wheeled vehicle that you pedal is an example of a bicycle.
- Bicycle is defined as to ride a two-wheeled vehicle that you propel forward by pedaling with your feet.
When you ride a two-wheeled vehicle (also called a bicycle), this is an example of a time when you bicycle.
A man riding a bicycle.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: Fr: see bi- and amp; cycle
- to carry on or as on a bicycle
- to travel over on a bicycle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A vehicle consisting of a light frame mounted on two wire-spoked wheels one behind the other and having a seat, handlebars for steering, brakes, and two pedals or a small motor by which it is driven.
- An exercise bicycle.
Origin: Probably bi-1 + -cycle (on the model of tricycle, three-wheeled coach).
- biˈcy·cler , biˈcy·clist noun