Tuition is the fee for instruction at a school.
An example of tuition is the amount of money you'd pay to take classes at a community college.
- Obs. guardianship
- the charge for instruction, esp. at a college or private school
- Chiefly Brit. teaching; instruction
Origin of tuitionMiddle English tuicion ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin tuitio, protection ; from tuitus, past participle of tueri, to watch, protect
- A fee for instruction, especially at a college, university, or private school.
- Instruction; teaching: a musician who was under his tuition for a year.
- Archaic Guardianship.
Origin of tuitionMiddle English tuicion, protection, from Old French, from Latin tuiti&omacron;, tuiti&omacron;n-, from tuitus, past participle of tu&emacron;r&imacron;, to protect.
- tu·i′tion·al, tu·i′tion·ar′y