- Tuition is the fee for instruction at a school.
An example of tuition is the amount of money you'd pay to take classes at a community college.
tuition definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete guardianship
- the charge for instruction, esp. at a college or private school
- Now Rare teaching; instruction
Origin: Middle English tuicion ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin tuitio, protection ; from tuitus, past participle of tueri, to watch, protect
- tuitional adjective
tuition definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A fee for instruction, especially at a formal institution of learning.
- Instruction; teaching.
- Archaic Guardianship.
Origin: Middle English tuicion, protection, from Old French, from Latin tuitiō, tuitiōn-, from tuitus, past participle of tuērī, to protect.
- tu·iˈtion·al, tu·iˈtion·arˌy adjective