Tuition is the fee for instruction at a school.
An example of tuition is the amount of money you'd pay to take classes at a community college.
- Obs. guardianship
- the charge for instruction, esp. at a college or private school
- Chiefly Brit. teaching; instruction
Origin of tuitionMiddle English tuicion from Old French from Classical Latin tuitio, protection from tuitus, past participle of tueri, to watch, protect
- A fee for instruction, especially at a college, university, or private school.
- Instruction; teaching: a musician who was under his tuition for a year.
- Archaic Guardianship.
Origin of tuitionMiddle English tuicion protection from Old French from Latin tuitiō tuitiōn- from tuitus past participle of tuērī to protect
- tu·i′tion·al tu·i′tion·ar′y