- To ask is to inquire about something in order to get an answer, response or action.
To question your mother about whether you may stay out late is an example of ask.
ask definition by Webster's New World
- to use words in seeking the answer to (a question); try to find out about by inquiring
- to put a question to (a person); inquire of
- to request; solicit; beg
- to demand or expect as a price: they ask ten dollars for it
- to be in need of or call for (a thing)
- to invite
Origin: Middle English askien ; from Old English āscian ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ais-, to wish, desire from source Sanskrit iccháti, (he) seeks, Old High German eiscōn, inquire, demand
- to request information
- to make a request (for)
- to inquire (about, after, or for)
- to behave in such a way that one appears to be looking (for trouble, punishment, etc.)
ask definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb asked, ask·ing, asks verb, transitive
- To put a question to: When we realized that we didn't know the answer, we asked the teacher.
- To seek an answer to: ask a question.
- To seek information about: asked directions.
- a. To make a request of: asked me for a loan.b. To make a request for. Often used with an infinitive or clause: ask a favor of a friend; asked to go along on the trip; asked that he be allowed to stay out late.
- To require or call for as a price or condition: asked ten dollars for the book.
- To expect or demand: ask too much of a child.
- To invite: asked them to dinner.
- Archaic To publish, as marriage banns.
- To make inquiry; seek information.
- To make a request: asked for help.
Origin: Middle English asken, from Old English ācsian, āscian; see ais- in Indo-European roots.
- askˈer noun
ask - Business Definition
ask - Computer Definition
Synonymous with AM (Amplitude Modulation). See AM.
(Amplitude Shift Keying) A simple digital modulation technique that uses two voltage levels for 0 and 1. See amplitude modulation.
ask - Investment & Finance Definition
The price at which someone is willing to sell a financial contract or security. Also synonymous with sell.
ask - Phrases/Idioms