- Instrumental is defined as necessary or helpful, or relating to musical instruments.
- An example of something instrumental is a strong mathematical ability to winning a math bee.
- An example of instrumental used as an adjective is in the phrase "instrumental song," which means a song that is made up entirely of musical instruments and has no words.
- The definition of an instrumental is a song or part of a song for musical instruments.
An example of an instrumental is a part of a song that has all instruments and no lyrics.
- serving as a means; helpful (in bringing something about)
- of or performed with an instrument or tool
- of, performed on, or written for a musical instrument or instruments
- of or in keeping with instrumentalism
- Gram. designating, of, or in the case of nouns, pronouns, or adjectives expressing means or agency
Origin of instrumentalMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Medieval Latin instrumentalis
- a composition for a musical instrument or instruments
- the instrumental case: this case is expressed by inflection in Old English, Sanskrit, Russian, etc., and in English with the prepositions by or with (Ex.: OE ðȳ spere, “by the spear, with the spear”)
- a word or phrase in this case
- Serving as a means or agency; implemental: was instrumental in solving the crime.
- Of, relating to, or accomplished with an instrument or tool.
- Music Performed on or written for an instrument.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or being the case used typically to express means, agency, or accompaniment.
- Of or relating to instrumentalism.
- a. Grammar The instrumental case.b. A word or form in the instrumental case.
- Music A composition for one or more instruments, usually without vocal accompaniment.
(comparative more instrumental, superlative most instrumental)
- Acting as an instrument; serving as a means; contributing to promote; conductive; helpful; serviceable; essential or central.
- He was instrumental in conducting the business.
- (music) Pertaining to, made by, or prepared for, an instrument, especially a musical instrument.
- instrumental music
- (grammar) Applied to a case expressing means or agency, generally indicated in English by by or with with the objective.
- the instrumental case.
(countable and uncountable, plural instrumentals)
- (uncountable, grammar) The instrumental case.
- (countable, music) A composition without lyrics.