- Solitude is the state of being alone or on your own. It also is a place where you can be on your own.
An example of solitude is when you are by yourself in your home.
solitude definition by Webster's New World
- the state of being solitary, or alone; seclusion, isolation, or remoteness
- a lonely or secluded place
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin solitudo ; from solus, alone, sole
- solitudinous adjective
solitude definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state or quality of being alone or remote from others.
- A lonely or secluded place.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sōlitūdō, from sōlus, alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.