- Solitude is the state of being alone or on your own. It also is a place where you can be on your own.
An example of solitude is when you are by yourself in your home.
- the state of being solitary, or alone; seclusion, isolation, or remoteness
- a lonely or secluded place
Origin of solitudeMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin solitudo ; from solus, alone, sole
- The state or quality of being alone or remote from others: Composers need solitude to work.
- The state of being secluded or uninhabited: sought out the solitude of the forest.
Origin of solitudeMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin sōlitūdō, from sōlus, alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural solitudes)
From Old French solitude