- a retiring or being retired; specif., withdrawal from work, business, etc. because of age
- privacy; seclusion
- a place of privacy or seclusion
Henry is looking forward to retirement, but he will miss the people in his office that he worked with for many years.
- An example of retirement is going into a back bedroom and taking a nap.
- An example of retirement is a 65 year old person deciding to permanently leave his job.
Retirement is defined as seclusion or privacy, or withdrawal from work due to age.
of, having to do with, or for retirement or retired persons: a retirement community
- a. Withdrawal from one's occupation or position, especially upon reaching a certain age.b. The age at which one withdraws from work or activity: On reaching retirement, he took up woodworking.
- The act of retiring or the state of being retired: the retirement of debt.
- Privacy or seclusion: in the retirement of your own home.
- Archaic A place of privacy or seclusion; a retreat.
(countable and uncountable, plural retirements)
retirement - Legal Definition
The voluntary termination of employment upon reaching a certain age. See retire.
- He's a week from retirement and he seems to be something of a maverick.
- The retirement of the center to the other side of the dip in the ground at the rear was hurried and noisy, but the different companies did not get mixed.
- He spent the rest of his life in retirement, dying at Wellington on the 16th of May 1862.
- The student who secures his coveted leisure and retirement by systematically shirking any labor necessary to man obtains but an ignoble and unprofitable leisure, defrauding himself of the experience which alone can make leisure fruitful.
- 12), prevented its being made effective until after the mover's retirement from political life.