- The definition of a fallback is a retreat of a military action, or a backup plan.
- If a government calls its army to retreat from attacking an enemy fort, this is an example of a fallback.
- If you want to go to Harvard but you also apply to Georgetown in case you do not get into Harvard, Georgetown is an example of a fallback.
fallback definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- something in reserve that one can turn to for help
- a withdrawing; retreat
fallback definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Something to which one can resort or retreat.b. A retreat.
- Computer Science A mechanism for carrying forth programmed instructions despite malfunction or failure of the primary device.
- Something that falls back: the fallback of a huge explosion.
Of, relating to, or constituting a resort or place of retreat: a fallback proposal; a fallback position behind our own lines.