- The definition of company is a guest or a group of people associated with each other.
- An example of company is a guest coming over for Christmas.
- An example of company is a theater group.
company definition by Webster's New World
- companionship; society: to enjoy another's company
- a group of people; specif.,
- a group gathered for social purposes
- a group associated for some purpose, as to form a commercial or industrial firm: a theatrical company, a manufacturing company
- a trade guild in the Middle Ages
- the partners whose names are not given in the title of a firm: John Smith and Company
- a guest or guests; visitor or visitors
- a habitual associate or associates: people are judged by the company they keep
- Mil. a body of troops; specif., the lowest administrative unit, as of infantry, normally composed of two or more platoons and a headquarters
- all of a ship's personnel, including the officersin full ship's company
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French compaignie ; from Vulgar Latin compania, literally , group sharing bread: see companion
company definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. com·pa·nies
- A group of persons. See Synonyms at band2.
- a. One's companions or associates: moved in fast company; is known by the company she keeps.b. A guest or guests: had company for the weekend.c. The state of friendly companionship; fellowship: was grateful for her company; friends who finally parted company.
- a. A business enterprise; a firm.b. A partner or partners not specifically named in a firm's title: Lee Rogers and Company.
- A troupe of dramatic or musical performers: a repertory company.
- a. A subdivision of a military regiment or battalion that constitutes the lowest administrative unit. It is usually under the command of a captain and is made up of at least two platoons.b. A unit of firefighters.
- A ship's crew and officers. See Usage Note at collective noun.
Origin: Middle English compainie, from Old French compaignie, from Vulgar Latin *compānia, from *compāniō, companion; see Companion 1.
company - Business Definition
company - Legal Definition
company - Phrases/Idioms
- to associate (with)
- to go together; associate habitually: said esp. of a couple intending to marry
keep (a person) company
- to stop associating (with)
- to separate and go in different directions