- The definition of a fellowship is a group of people who share a common interest or is a grant of funds for a student.
- A group of people who all study a particular field of science is an example of a fellowship.
- When a student is given a grant to go to graduate school, this is an example of a graduate fellowship.
- companionship; friendly association
- a mutual sharing, as of experience, activity, interest, etc.
- a group of people with the same interests; company; brotherhood
- an endowment, or a sum of money paid from such an endowment, for the support of a graduate student, scholar, etc. doing advanced study in some field
- the rank or position of a fellow in a university or college
Origin: Middle English felauship
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The condition of sharing similar interests, ideals, or experiences, as by reason of profession, religion, or nationality.b. The companionship of individuals in a congenial atmosphere and on equal terms.
- A close association of friends or equals sharing similar interests.
- Friendship; comradeship.
- a. The financial grant made to a fellow in a college or university.b. The status of having been awarded such a grant.c. A foundation established for the awarding of such a grant.