- Scholarship is knowledge resulting from study, or is a gift of money to pay for academic education.
- An example of scholarship is when you study for a master's degree.
- An example of a scholarship is when someone pays your college tuition for you.
scholarship definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the quality of knowledge and learning shown by a student; standard of academic work
- the systematized knowledge of a learned person, exhibiting accuracy, critical ability, and thoroughness; erudition
- the knowledge attained by scholars, collectively
- a specific gift of money or other aid, as by a foundation, to help a student pay for instruction
scholarship definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The methods, discipline, and attainments of a scholar or scholars.
- Knowledge resulting from study and research in a particular field. See Synonyms at knowledge.
- A grant of financial aid awarded to a student, as for the purpose of attending a college.