- The definition of an escort is something or someone who accompanies a person or thing, often for security or protection.
- An example of an escort is your date to a dance or other social event.
- An example of an escort is a police officer who brings a person into court so that the press can't hound him.
- An example of an escort are the cars accompanying the President's vehicle when he travels.
- To escort is defined as to go along with someone or something.
- An example of escort is when you take someone to a dance.
- An example of escort is what a body guard does when he walks with the President.
- one or more persons (or cars, ships, airplanes, etc.) accompanying another or others to give protection or show honor
- a man or boy accompanying a woman or girl, as to a party
- a person, esp. a woman, employed through a business () to act as a date for a social activity, often, specif., covert illicit sexual activity
- accompaniment by an escort
Origin: French escorte ; from Italian scorta ; from scorgere, to perceive, lead ; from Late Latin an unverified form excorrigere ; from Classical Latin ex-, out plush corrigere, to set right, correct
Origin: Fr escorter < It scortare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. One or more persons accompanying another to guide, protect, or show honor.b. A man who is the companion of a woman, especially on a social occasion.c. A person, often a prostitute, who is hired to spend time with another as a companion.
- a. One or more vehicles accompanying another vehicle to guide, protect, or honor its passengers.b. One or more warships or planes used to defend or protect other craft from enemy attack.
- The state of being accompanied by a person or protective guard.
Origin: French escorte, from Italian scorta, from scorgere, to guide, from Vulgar Latin *excorrigere : Latin ex-, ex- + Latin corrigere, to set right; see correct.