- The definition of conglomerate is one item consisting of many parts.
An example of conglomerate is a rock with many different minerals contained in its structure.
- A conglomerate is defined as something consisting of many similar elements.
An example of conglomerate is a large corporation which was formed after the merger of many smaller corporations.
Origin of conglomerate; from Classical Latin conglomeratus, past participle of conglomerare, to roll together ; from com-, together + glomerare, to gather into a ball ; from glomus, a ball ; from Indo-European an unverified form glem- ; from base an unverified form gel-: see climb
- formed or collected into a rounded or compact mass; clustered
- made up of separate parts or substances collected together into a single mass
- Geol. made up of rock fragments or pebbles cemented together by clay, silica, etc.
- a conglomerate mass; cluster
- ⌂ a large corporation formed by the merger or acquisition of a number of companies in unrelated, widely diversified industries
- Geol. a conglomerate rock
verbcon·glom·er·at·ed, con·glom·er·at·ing, con·glom·er·ates
- To form or gather into a mass or whole.
- To form into or merge with a corporate conglomerate.
- A corporation made up of a number of different companies that operate in diversified fields.
- A collected heterogeneous mass; a cluster: a conglomerate of color, passion, and artistry.
- Geology A coarse-grained sedimentary rock consisting of rounded to subangular rock fragments cemented together by hardened silt, clay, calcium carbonate, or similar material.
- Gathered into a mass; clustered.
- Geology Made up of loosely cemented heterogeneous material.
Origin of conglomerateLatin conglomerare, conglomerat- : com-, com- + glomerare, to wind into a ball (from glomus, glomer-, ball).
- con·glom′er·at′ic , con·glom′er·it′ic
(comparative more conglomerate, superlative most conglomerate)
- Clustered together into a mass.
- conglomerate flowers
- (geology) Composed of stones, pebbles, or fragments of rock, cemented together.
(third-person singular simple present conglomerates, present participle conglomerating, simple past and past participle conglomerated)
Latin conglomeratus, past participle of conglomerare (“to roll together”).
conglomerate - Legal Definition