- Multiple is defined as being or having more than one.
An example of multiple used as an adjective is the phrase "multiple flavors of ice cream" which means a number of different flavors.
- The definition of a multiple is a number that can be evenly divided by another number.
An example of a multiple is 24 to 12.
Multiple flavors of ice cream on display.
- having or consisting of many parts, elements, etc.; more than one or once; manifold or complex
- shared by or involving many
- many or very many; numerous
- Elec. designating or of a circuit having two or more conductors connected in parallel
Origin of multipleFrench ; from Classical Latin multiplex ; from multi-, multi- + -plex, -fold: see duplex
- Elec. a group of terminals so arranged that connection with the circuit can be made at any of a number of points
- Math. a number which is a product of some specified number and another number: 10 is a multiple of 5
Origin of multipleFrench, from Old French, from Late Latin multiplum, a multiple : Latin multi-, multi- + Latin -plus, -fold; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more multiple, superlative most multiple)
From French multiple.