- Monotony is defined as boring sameness or a lack of variety and interest.
When you do the exact same boring tasks at your job every single day, this is an example of monotony.
- sameness of tone or pitch, or continuance of the same tone without variation
- lack of variation or variety
- tiresome sameness or uniformity
Origin of monotonyFrench monotonie ; from Classical Greek monotonia: see monotonous
- Uniformity or lack of variation in pitch, intonation, or inflection.
- Tedious sameness or repetitiousness: the monotony of daily routine.
Origin of monotonyGreek monotoniā, from monotonos, monotonous; see monotonous.