- Monotony is defined as boring sameness or a lack of variety and interest.
When you do the exact same boring tasks at your job every single day, this is an example of monotony.
monotony definition by Webster's New World
- sameness of tone or pitch, or continuance of the same tone without variation
- lack of variation or variety
- tiresome sameness or uniformity
Origin: French monotonie ; from Classical Greek monotonia: see monotonous
monotony definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. mo·not·o·nies
- Uniformity or lack of variation in pitch, intonation, or inflection.
- Tedious sameness or repetitiousness: the monotony of daily routine.
Origin: Greek monotoniā, from monotonos, monotonous; see monotonous.