continuance[kən tin′yo̵̅o̅ əns]
continuance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or process of continuing, or lasting
- the time during which an action, process, or state lasts; duration
- the fact of remaining (in a place or condition); stay
- Rare continuation; sequel
- Law postponement or adjournment to a later date
Origin: OFr: see continue
continuance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or fact of continuing.
- The time during which something exists or lasts; duration.
- A continuation or sequel.
- Law Postponement or adjournment to a future date.
continuance - Legal Definition
The adjournment or postponement to another date of a trial or other proceeding. See also adjourn.