- the act or process of continuing, or lasting
- the time during which an action, process, or state lasts; duration
- the fact of remaining (in a place or condition); stay
- Rare continuation; sequel
- Law a postponement or adjournment to a later date
Origin of continuanceOFr: see continue
- The act or fact of continuing: the continuance of bad weather.
- The time during which something exists or lasts; duration: His continuance in office was brief.
- A continuation or sequel: This show is a continuance of last year's series.
- Law Postponement or adjournment to a future date.
(countable and uncountable, plural continuances)
From Old French continuance, from continuer.
continuance - Legal Definition
The adjournment or postponement to another date of a trial or other proceeding. See also adjourn.