The quality, state, or degree of being variable or changeable.
Variant of variable
- apt or likely to change or vary; changeable, inconstant, fickle, fluctuating, etc.
- that can be changed or varied
- Biol. tending to deviate in some way from the type; aberrant
- Math. having no fixed value
Origin of variableMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin variabilis
- anything changeable; esp., a quality or quantity that varies or may vary
- a shifting wind
- Astron. variable star
- Math., Physics
- a part of a mathematical expression that may assume any value in a specific, related set of values
- a symbol for such a part